McCollum Statement on Passage of Appropriations Minibus Bill, H.R. 2740
Congresswoman Betty McCollum (DFL-Minn.) released the following statement after the passage of H.R. 2740, which consists of the FY2020 Labor-HHS-Education, Defense, State and Foreign Operations, and Energy and Water appropriations bills.
The four-bill minibus rejects President Trump’s harmful budget cuts and invests in hardworking families across the nation with provisions important to Minnesotans and the American people, including:
- The Labor-HHS-Education bill contains $189.9 billion in discretionary funding, making investments in quality healthcare and education for all Americans. The bill includes:
- $41 billion for the National Institutes of Health (NIH) for critical health and disease research and;
- $760 million for the Community Services Block Grant to help communities fight poverty through funding Community Action Agencies.
- The Defense bill includes $690.2 billion in funding to improve operations and maintenance, readiness activities, research and development, equipment modernization, and health and quality-of-life of our troops and their families, including:
- $1.26 billion in Environmental Restoration activities including $13 million to assess current and former domestic military installations know to have PFOS/PFOA contamination and;
- $33.46 billion for Defense Health Programs, ensuring our service members and their families have access to the high quality care they deserve.
- The State and Foreign Operations bill contains $56.4 billion in funding to prioritize investments in diplomacy and reducing global poverty while maintaining U.S. standing as a global leader, including:
- $1 billion to help raise millions out of poverty by funding the Global Food Security Act and $2.616 billion in programs to improve maternal and child health and;
- Funding to help mitigate the impacts of climate change, protect biodiversity, and combat wildlife trafficking.
- The Energy and Water bill invests $46.4 billion to uphold our nation’s commitment to clean energy and address our economic, environmental, and energy security challenges, including:
- $2.65 billion for Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy, to uphold our nation’s commitment to a clean energy future and;
- $7.36 billion to the Army Corps of Engineers, to rebuild and modernize America’s water infrastructure while promoting community and economic development.
“With robust investments in health care, education, promoting clean energy, combatting climate change, and defending America’s national security, this minibus funding bill will change and improve American lives, ” Congresswoman McCollum said. “In addition to the critical dollars spent investing in moving our country forward, this bill also completely rejects President Trump’s proposed cuts that would harm working American families. I am proud to stand with my colleagues in the passage of this bill.”