Israeli Annexation Non-Recognition Act
On August 14, 2020, Congresswoman Betty McCollum (MN-04) and colleagues introduced the Israeli Annexation Non-Recognition Act (H.R. 8050) a bill to prohibit the United States from formally recognizing or providing U.S. aid to any area of the occupied West Bank annexed by the Government of Israel.
In a statement submitted for the Congressional Record, Congresswoman McCollum said:
“I want Palestinians and Israelis to have their human rights respected, their right to self-determination realized, and a future with peace, security, equality, and justice. Annexation is antithetical to these goals and will fuel instability, injustice, and an abhorrent system of apartheid. This is an intolerable outcome for Palestinians, Israelis, and Americans. I reject Israeli annexation. I condemn annexation. And I will work to ensure the U.S. does not support, defend, or legitimize any plan to illegally annex Palestinian lands."
LINKS AND RESOURCES
Congresswoman McCollum's Statement for the Record is available here.
Read the joint press release here.
The full text of the Israeli Annexation Non-Recognition Act (H.R. 8050) can be found here.
Original co-sponsors of the bill are: Rep. Rashida Tlaib (MI-13), Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (NY-14), Rep. Ayanna Pressley (MA-07), Rep. Mark Pocan (WI-02), Rep. Ilhan Omar (MN-05), and Rep. Andre Carson (IN-07).
The following groups and organizations from across the U.S. and around the world have endorsed the Israeli Annexation Non-Recognition Act:
- Adalah Justice Project
- Addameer Prisoner Support and Human Rights Organization
- American Friends Service Committee
- American Muslims for Palestine (AMP)
- American-Arab Anti-Discrimination Committee
- Arab American Institute
- Center for Constitutional Rights
- Church World Service
- Churches for Middle East Peace
- Council on American-Islamic Relations
- Defense for Children International - Palestine
- Demand Progress
- Democratic Socialists of America
- Friends of Sabeel North America
- Global Ministries of the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) and United Church of Christ
- Institute for Policy Studies, New Internationalism Project
- Jewish Voice for Peace Action
- Joining Hands for Justice, Palestine/Israel
- Just Foreign Policy
- Middle East Children's Alliance
- Minnesota Peace Project
- National Council of Churches
- National Lawyers Guild - Palestine Subcommittee
- New Generation for Palestine
- Norwegian Refugee Council
- Palestinian Christian Alliance for Peace
- Presbyterian Church USA
- The United Methodist Church - General Board of Church and Society
- U.S. Campaign for Palestinian Rights (USCPR)
- U.S. Palestinian Community Network (USPCN)
- U.S. Palestinian Council