Sign up to receive email updates
Now Accepting Applications for Spring 2014 and Summer 2014
We are seeking energetic and proficient interns in the Washington, D.C. and St. Paul offices of Congresswoman Betty McCollum. An internship in Congresswoman McCollum’s office will provide valuable experience to students as they prepare for their professional careers. Interns have the opportunity to work with and assist all members of the staff, including legislative, administrative, outreach and press duties. Washington, DC interns will be encouraged to take advantage of the many hearings, workshops and seminars that are held on Capitol Hill. St. Paul interns will also have the opportunity to attend some local functions and meetings related to the Congresswoman’s work in the district. In addition, we are happy to work with your college or university to arrange for academic credit. Applicants should be highly motivated and enthusiastic, as there are far more applicants than available positions.
- Supporting administrative staff: answering phones, database entry, and sorting mail.
- Various projects as assigned.
Washington, DC office:
- Supporting legislative staff: tracking constituent correspondence, drafting letters, and conducting light research.
- Attending briefings and hearings for legislative staff.
St. Paul office:
- Assisting casework staff in helping constituents resolve problems and navigate federal bureaucracies.
- Compiling local news clips and distributing to district and DC office staff.
- Promoting constituent outreach efforts by communicating with constituents and constituent groups, attending meetings and events, and drafting correspondence.
- Excellent written and oral communications skills.
- College juniors or seniors preferred (but not required.)
- Positive attitude and an ability to effectively handle a number of tasks at once.
- Strong connections to Minnesota.
Hours and compensation:
- Internships are available year-round
- They are available on a part-time or full-time basis
- Transportation and housing are the responsibility of interns.
- Applicants should send a cover letter (indicating availability and the location of their desired internship), a resume and references.
Those interested in a Washington, DC internship should email firstname.lastname@example.org or send to: Office of Congresswoman Betty McCollum; Attn: Washington, DC Internship Coordinator; 165 Western Avenue North, Suite 17; St. Paul, MN 55102 or fax to 202-225-1968.
Those interested in a St. Paul internship should email email@example.com or send to: Office of Congresswoman Betty McCollum; Attn: St. Paul Internship Coordinator; 165 Western Avenue North, Suite 17; St. Paul, MN 55102 or fax to 651-224-3056.