Resources for Minnesota homeowners experiencing mortgage difficulties or impacted by foreclosure:

Look Before you Leap is a statewide effort working towards preserving home ownership in Minnesota by calling attention to scamming companies’ predatory techniques and offering home owners free alternative home preservation solutions.

City of St. Paul – Mortgage Foreclosure Prevention Program

Neighborhood Development Alliance – Spanish speakers only

Ramsey County

Washington County Housing and Redevelopment Authority (HRA) foreclosure assistance
651-458-0936 Ext. 551

LSS Financial Counseling LSS Financial Counseling is a statewide organization offering financial and housing counseling in nine locations.

Minnesota Home Ownership Center

Minnesota Attorney General’s brochure explaining foreclosure & Minnesota law

Minnesota Attorney General’s brochure – mortgage assistance scams

Renters experiencing difficulties because of foreclosure
612-728-5767 (1-800-866-3546)

FEDERAL RESOURCES FOR HOMEOWNERS experiencing mortgage difficulties or impacted by foreclosure

Making Home Affordable is a federal program to assist homeowners with possible refinancing or loan modification, to find a housing counselor and other resources.

Hope for Homeowners – a program administered by the Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD)

Federal Reserve – Consumer Resources

HOPE NOW is a national hotline providing support and guidance for borrowers from independent, non-profit counselors approved by HUD. HOPE NOW also provides a list of mortgage servicer members’ direct lines for those having trouble with their mortgage.

Homeowners’ HOPE Hotline: 1-888-995-HOPE    http://www.hopenow.com/

U.S. Housing and Urban Development (HUD) – list of approved counselors

HUD informational and assistance portal

Homeownership Preservation Foundation a national nonprofit dedicated to preventing foreclosure and preserving homeownership.

Federal Housing Administration

Office of the Comptroller of the Currency
The Office of the Comptroller of the Currency (OCC) charters, regulates, and supervises all national banks.

Helpwithmybank.gov is a website set up by the OCC to help consumers find answers to National Banking questions

If You Have a Complaint

If you believe your mortgage servicer has not responded appropriately to your written inquiry, contact your local or state consumer protection office. You also should contact the Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) to file a complaint under the RESPA (closing costs and settlement procedures) regulations. Write: Office of RESPA and Interstate Land Sales, Department of Housing and Urban Development, 451 Seventh Street, S.W., Room 9154, Washington, DC 20410.

In addition, you may want to contact an attorney to advise you of your legal rights. Under certain sections of the RESPA, consumers can initiate lawsuits and obtain actual damages, plus additional damages, for a pattern or practice of noncompliance. In successful actions, consumers also may obtain court costs and attorney's fees.

You may want to contact a housing counselor to discuss your situation. You can call HUD's hotline at 1-800-569-4287 for a referral to a local HUD-approved housing counselor.

You also may wish to contact the FTC.

The FTC works to prevent fraudulent, deceptive and unfair business practices in the marketplace and to provide information to help consumers spot, stop and avoid them. To file a complaint or get free information on consumer issues, visit ftc.gov or call toll-free, 1-877-FTC-HELP (1-877-382-4357); TTY: 1-866-653-4261. Watch a new video, How to File a Complaint, at ftc.gov/video to learn more. The FTC enters consumer complaints into the Consumer Sentinel Network, a secure online database and investigative tool used by hundreds of civil and criminal law enforcement agencies in the U.S. and abroad.

For Veterans

Veterans experiencing difficulties should contact the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) regarding their VA mortgage. The VA may also assist veterans who currently have a conventional home loan.